OFFSHORE DRILLING COULD BE COMING TO YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD
Life Is Art has joined with Oceana as part of a coalition working to raise awareness about the recent changes to offshore drilling policy. On Thursday, January 4th, 2018, the Department of the Interior released a Draft Proposed Plan for offshore drilling to be allowed off the beaches of several states, including Florida. They are allowing a few weeks for public comment, and during this time, we are looking to get the word out and produce a major awareness-raising event. This is a little long, but important, so I hope you will see it out.
Yes, I want to help! Skip to sign-up form.
Governor Rick Scott, Senators Marco Rubio and Bill Nelson, as well as the majority of Florida House of Representatives, have all made statements, opposing offshore drilling in Florida. Story here.
Here are some of the initial notes on the details in the DPP:
- DPP will be published in the Federal Register on Jan 9, 2018, as well as an Environmental Impact Statement Notice of Intent;
- The plan proposes new offshore drilling in 25 out of 26 planning areas – the only exclusion being American Samoa;
- There is NO coastal 50-mile buffer;
- There will be 1 public meeting in; each state capitol, held mid-January through February, with an additional virtual public open house, Florida’s is February 8th in Tallahassee;
- Lease sales- 47 total;
- -9 in the mid and south Atlantic and at least one in Straits of Florida;
- -12 in the Gulf of Mexico- most in central and western but offering at least one in the Eastern Gulf;
- – 19 Arctic, 7 Pacific.
You can help, now! Four action items:
1) Our organization, Life Is Art, Inc and Soul Of Miami, has joined with Oceana Florida as part of the coalition they are building to raise awareness and activism around this issue. If you or your organization would like to join, please let me know and I will put you in touch with their organizer. We are looking for organizations and individuals who have a significant reach to help us get the word out.
2) If you can, please attend the City of Miami: Resolution to Protect our Coast meeting on January 25th to voice your opinion about offshore drilling on Florida’s coasts.
3) Here is a link to quickly and easily send a letter to the Federal Administration requesting that they do not open our coasts to offshore drilling.
4) The coalition is working to put together an awareness-raising concert/festival (see below). We are looking for partners to help produce programming, performers & bands who would volunteer to perform, artists who would volunteer to participate in engagement activations, tabling organizations to provide addition outreach, business sponsors to supply needed in-kind materials, and volunteers to help run the event. If you are interested in any of the above, or in getting involved in any way, please let us know and we will connect you with the right people.
Event: Benefit Concert/Festival
MORE DETAILS COMING SOON
Because this has come down so quickly, we are currently confirming date and location.
Purpose: Educate South Florida communities on recent release of Draft Proposed Program by the Department of Interior. These areas include The South Atlantic and at least one in the Florida Straits of Miami and the Florida Keys.
- Movie Screening and educational forum of Offshore Drilling and Ocean education.
- Local artists from South Florida playing and advocating for the health of our coasts.
- Non Profit and Businesses Participation Tables.
- Non profit groups from across the region having the opportunity to present a table and advocate on how healthy ocean ecosystems are crucial to the work or cause of their organization.
- Local and regional business leaders tabling promoting how healthy oceans are crucial for a thriving south Florida economy.
- Interactive activities for youth and families.
OCEANA, Life Is Art, Surfrider South Florida, Miami Water Keepers, 350 South Florida, Miami Climate Alliance, New Florida Majority, Catalyst Miami, Florida Immigrant Coalition, Sachamama. Join the coalition!
Want to get involved? We have opportunities for Coalition Partners, Tabling Organizations, Community Business Sponsors, Artists of All Types, Musicians, Visual, Performance, Educators, and Volunteers. If you are interested in joining the mission, please fill out the form below: